Monday 5 December 2016

#Blogmas 2016 - Day 4 - The Jingle Bell Tag : What books have I enjoyed most this year



The meme itself originates with Richard @ The Humpo Show. I've tweaked it though in that I am doing it over the course of 6 days instead of as one single post. Today is day 2.


The Categories



  • “All I Want For Christmas Is You…” | What book do you want to see under the Christmas Tree?
  • “Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time…” | What book that you have read this year have you enjoyed the most?
  • “It’s Beginning to look a lot like Christmas…” | Which book has most festive look to it?
  • Elf | What book unleashes your inner child?
  • The Grinch | Your favourite villain…
  • The Holiday | Name your favourite TWO couples…


“Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time…”

What book that you have read this year have you enjoyed the most?



I'm self imposing some caveats on this question simply because I spent pretty much the entire first half of this year re-reading books I've read before, and also because 2 of the books I've re-read this year are 2 of my 7 favourite books anyway. Therefore I am going to discuss which books I have read for the first time this year that I have enjoyed the most. I'm also going to choose 1 novel and 1 comic because I've had a pretty even split of both this year.


Figment (Figment #1) by Jim Zub & Filipe Andrade

I mentioned yesterday that Figment 2 is one of the books I most hope to receive as a Christmas gift, well the first Figment definitely tops my list as the comic that I have enjoyed the most this year. It's absolute fantastical madness, exactly what I would expect from a Steampunk themed Disney publication. The art is so vivid and bright and just really well done. See Dreamfinder on the cover there? Am I the only one who is somewhat reminded of James Macavoy for some reason? Mischievous little Figment himself is of course the best part of this for me and I love getting to see his origin story. It's a really great adventure the story itself at times reminds me of the storyline in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Here's the Goodreads summary:

"The next great Disney adventure is here--starring one of Disney's most popular characters! Dive into a steampunk fantasy story revealing the origin of the inventor known as Dreamfinder, and learn how one little spark of inspiration created a purple dragon called Figment! Our daring duo explore the realms of imagination, finding friends and foes alike--while back on Earth, a clockwork army assembles under the command of the frightening force known only as the Singular! And when Clockwork Control invades London while the intrepid explorers are trapped within the Nightmare Nation, the only obstacles standing between the Singular and total domination are Dreamfinder, Figment and their newfound friends! Acclaimed and uniquely talented creators Jim Zub (Skullkickers) and Filipe Andrade (CAPTAIN MARVEL) give a Marvel spin to Epcot's mind-bending attraction, Journey into Imagination! COLLECTING: FIGMENT 1-5"

This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity #1) by Victoria (V.E.) Schwab

Honestly this is one of the best novels I've read this year, that's why I chose it as my favourite. It was just sooooo good. Truly unputdownable, the only reason I didn't read it in one sitting was because I was reading it mid-week which meant I couldn't stay up late trying to finish it because I had to get up for work the next day. This book literally gave me goosebumps. This is a take on both monster stories and on dystopias that I have never seen  before. Truly original. The characters are not perfect people but it is that imperfection makes them perfectly enjoyable and the twist really was not one that I saw coming (unlike the twist in Three Dark Crowns...). I also like the shout out to Stoker in naming the female main character Harker. This was also the first book I received via #owlcrate so it's special to me for that reason too. Being my first exposure to a Schwab novel, I can't wait to dive into A Darker Shade of Magic now.

The Goodreads summary:

"There’s no such thing as safe.
Kate Harker wants to be as ruthless as her father. After five years and six boarding schools, she’s finally going home to prove that she can be.
August Flynn wants to be human. But he isn’t. He’s a monster, one that can steal souls with a song. He’s one of the three most powerful monsters in a city overrun with them. His own father’s secret weapon.
Their city is divided.
Their city is crumbling.
Kate and August are the only two who see both sides, the only two who could do something.
But how do you decide to be a hero or a villain when it’s hard to tell which is which?"


No comments:

Post a Comment