Monday 13 March 2017

Musing Mondays - Witches of East End & writing book reviews


Musing Monday, February 27, 2017

Musing Mondays is a weekly meme that asks you to choose one of the following prompts to answer:


  • I’m currently reading…
  • Up next I think I’ll read…
  • I bought the following book(s) in the past week…
  • I’m super excited to tell you about (book/author/bookish-news)…
  • I’m really upset by (book/author/bookish-news)…
  • I can’t wait to get a copy of…
  • I wish I could read ___, but…
  • I blogged about ____ this past week…

 I’m currently (re-)reading…


Witches of East End by Melissa de la Cruz

I wanted to finally read the second and third books in this series because the second book Serpent's Kiss has been sitting on my TBR shelves since it was released in 2012. However, I read the first book way back in 2011 when it was first published, so that means a re-read before I can finish the series. This is a trend you should expect to see a lot this year because I am trying to read through as much of my TBR shelves as possible and they are mostly filled with sequels to first books that I haven't read recently enough to remember all the details of.

This book series is based loosely, from what I remember, on Norse mythology. That's not something one would really guess from reading the cover blurb because the only potential giveaway there is the name Freya. I also seem to remember there being a tie-in to de la Cruz's Blue Bloods series late in the novel which implies that they are set within the same universe. As I haven't read the Blue Bloods books I can't really make an opinion on that tie-in.

Lifetime tried to adapt the series into a TV show, starring Jenna Dewan Tatum, back in 2013-2014. It only lasted 2 seasons, and I remember it not being a very good adaptation. It wasn't even a stellar show, but it changed a LOT of what I remembered from the book, and not for the good in my opinion.

From the author of the highly addictive and bestselling Blue Bloods series, with almost 3 million copies sold, comes a new novel, Melissa de la Cruz's first for adults, featuring a family of formidable and beguiling witches.

The three Beauchamp women--Joanna and her daughters Freya and Ingrid--live in North Hampton, out on the tip of Long Island. Their beautiful, mist-shrouded town seems almost stuck in time, and all three women lead seemingly quiet, uneventful existences. But they are harboring a mighty secret--they are powerful witches banned from using their magic. Joanna can resurrect people from the dead and heal the most serious of injuries. Ingrid, her bookish daughter, has the ability to predict the future and weave knots that can solve anything from infertility to infidelity. And finally, there's Freya, the wild child, who has a charm or a potion that can cure most any heartache.

For centuries, all three women have been forced to suppress their abilities. But then Freya, who is about to get married to the wealthy and mysterious Bran Gardiner, finds that her increasingly complicated romantic life makes it more difficult than ever to hide her secret. Soon Ingrid and Joanna confront similar dilemmas, and the Beauchamp women realize they can no longer conceal their true selves. They unearth their wands from the attic, dust off their broomsticks, and begin casting spells on the townspeople. It all seems like a bit of good-natured, innocent magic, but then mysterious, violent attacks begin to plague the town. When a young girl disappears over the Fourth of July weekend, they realize it's time to uncover who and what dark forces are working against them.

With a brand-new cast of characters, a fascinating and fresh world to discover, and a few surprise appearances from some of the Blue Blood fan favorites, this is a page-turning, deliciously fun, magical summer read fraught with love affairs, witchcraft, and an unforgettable battle between good and evil. -- via Goodreads

        THIS WEEK’S RANDOM QUESTION: Do you post book reviews right after you finish the book? Or do you wait a while so you can fully digest it before posting a review?


I don't actually write reviews very often anymore and that's partially the reason why. When I used to write reviews on my old blog, I had 2 ways of doing it. I would do a weekly review on Fridays of a book I had finished during that week. The other way was to dredge up a book I hadn't read in ages and then write a review on it since I'd had time to really reflect on the story. I stopped doing both because I kind of got burnt out. I love talking about what I'm reading/have read in the past. Talking about books is awesome. But writing reviews felt too forced and it turned reading into too much work. I would feel stressed and compelled to have to finish books quickly in order to review them every Friday. And then sometimes, I would struggle with the reviews for books I hadn't read because I'd want to talk about details but couldn't remember them all enough to do it well. Might start doing discussion posts instead of straight reviews, that could be interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment