Friday 22 September 2017

#WhyIReadRomance Day 6 - most emotional destruction

a Parajunkee event


The romance that most destroyed my emotions




The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, then all at once."

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning author John Green's most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love.

I don't think John Green new that he was writing a capital R Romance novel when he wrote this. Obviously, he knew he was writing a romance novel, the romance between the characters being at the centre of the story and the plot, but I don't think he intended or understood that it would fall into the Romance genre. At least 7900 other people (myself included) on Goodreads consider this a Romance novel and have shelved it as such. But I think if you asked John, he would probably waffle about it before agreeing that yeah we're right it's a Romance novel, not just a novel that happens to have romance in it. I've spoken at least twice before about how much this book destroyed me, so I'm not going to repeat myself. The total emotional destruction this book causes the reader is without question which is to be 100% expected given the subject matter. Even though you know what to expect going into it, that doesn't stop it from completely gutting you when the end happens.






1 comment:

  1. Don't even get me started on this one!! Ugh! The feels!

    ReplyDelete