Sunday 23 December 2018

Book Riot Read Harder 2018 in review: A Caribbean Mystery #BookReview #ReadHarder2018 #Blogmas



Category 23: A book with a female protagonist over the age of 60 


A Caribbean Mystery


Author: Agatha Christie
Publisher: Dodd, Mead
Published: Published 1965 (first published November 16, 1964)
Page count: 246
Genres: mystery
Date read: July 14, 2018
Number of times read: 1
Format: hardcover/audiobook
Source: Laurier Library/Waterloo Public Library









Summary

The delightful Miss Marple is ensnared in A Caribbean Mystery when a retired military man sparks her curiosity with a photograph and a strange story of a murderer.

As Miss Marple sat basking in the Caribbean sunshine, she felt mildly discontented with life. True, the warmth eased her rheumatism, but here in paradise nothing ever happened.

Eventually, her interest was aroused by an old soldier’s yarn about a murderer he had known. Infuriatingly, just as he was about to show her a snapshot of this acquaintance, the Major was suddenly interrupted. A diversion that was to prove fatal.-- via Goodreads 

Review

I know that this is the tenth book in the Miss Marple series, so there is probably a lot of context from the first nine books that I am missing by starting with this one. chose this one though because I had ready access to it as both a physical book and an audiobook which is exactly the combination I was after. Sometimes I like to follow the narrator along with a physical copy of the book I am reading. But I think in this case the context I was missing didn't hinder me too much, which is why the book still got 3.5 bolts. It's a good book though, the mystery actually kept me going for a little bit.

You see there is a reason why I don't read more mysteries and it's because of a talent I've picked up from my mum. I'm not quite as good as her but it's still a problem. I am really good at solving fictional mysteries long before the main character does. But my mum is even faster. One time when we were playing clue, she got the right guess on the second round, not HER second round, she was the second person to play. And on her first turn, she guessed it. Another time we went to a live murder mystery play. And of all the audiences over the course of the three-night run, the group at my table, thanks to mum and me, were the only group to actually solve the mystery ahead of the reveal.

So when I say that this mystery actually staid mysterious on me almost nearly until the end, then that's high praise for a mystery novel. Miss Marple herself is an interesting character, she's a little old English lady who keeps getting roped into solving crimes. Thanks to this book I now want to seek out the whole series. Might have to borrow the BBC DVDs I got for my mm.

Do you read mysteries? Do you often solve them before the main character does?

Overall Rating


3.5 bolts


No comments:

Post a Comment