Sunday 11 November 2018

Strictly Come Dancing 2018 - Week 8

So we are at Week Eight and there are nine couples left and the ballroom already feels a little less bright now Dr Ranj is no longer around but all of the couples are dancing tonight in the hopes of getting to the real brightness of  Strictly, the bright lights of Blackpool.  The Mecca of Strictly is just around the corner but for one couple, the bus will be leaving without them  Let's ignore the silly drama in the papers this week again, this time based around Danny and Amy and move on to the dancing which is what the show is all about.

Opening the show we have a wedding.  Kate and Aljaz are getting married and dancing the Quickstep.  Now last week I felt Kate had reached her peak and she was struggling, I felt she didn't have much more left in her.  How wrong was I proved tonight, ladies and gents?  This was fun, fast, perfectly in sync with each other.  It reminded me of Vick's Quickstep back in Week 4, it had everything right about it.  She hit 30 and I think deserves to go on to Blackpool.

Next up and entering the carnival party mood are Danny and Amy.  They are dancing the Samba this week.  Looking like he's just stepped off the set of Death in Paradise (although in someone else's costume), Danny shook his body for all he was worth.  It was a little lacking in fluidity at times but he certainly gave it his all and after his disastrous week last week, he was back without the mistakes, just lacking in the flair required.  Danny's problem throughout the whole series has been the stiffness in his body, he just needs to loosen up more.

Next, we have another Couples Choice and the choice is Contemporary.  Ashley and Pasha chose this dance and I'm sorry, but I just don't get this dance.  It's not dancing to me, it's twirling and stretching about on a dance floor, and why are they always barefoot when they dance it, do they have an aversion to shoes for Contemporary?  I'm obviously missing something because a score of 39/40 took them to the top of the leaderboard, possibly the sympathy card, way to go Ashley. Milk it for all it's worth, kid. *sniffle*  Dedicated to my father who is sadly no longer here to see it *sniffle* *sneaky glance to see if anyone is watching* *sniffle some more*  Well done, Shirley. You fell for that, hook line and sinker didn't you?  No way for me, but hey she's obviously a ringer for the final.

Once the sea of crocodile tears was swept away, we had....sorry I'm blinded by the dayglo lycra.....oh it's Graeme and Oti.  Once again showing off his fun side and clearly, he is game for anything the wardrobe department throw at him (looks like Mr Motivator's old clothing).  Graeme is dancing the Salsa and it is the most bizarre routine I have ever seen.  I wasn't that keen on it, it looked a bit messy and thrown together but the judges surprisingly loved it and gave him his joint highest mark, comparable to his Spiderman Charleston in Week 3.  Personally, I preferred his Waltz last week and his Samba in Week 1.

Next up were Faye and Giovanni doing Gio's favourite dance, the Jive.  It was good, but it wasn't great for me.  It was a pretty good Jive but nothing that blew me away like Danny's did, or even Ore a couple of years ago or Alexandra's last year.  Giovanni needs a really good partner for a Jive because like Debbie McGee last year, Faye wasn't really WOW like she has been in other dances.  Good but I expected better from her.

Next up is the competition's dark horse, Stacey with Kevin.  Dancing to one of my all-time favourite songs, from Breakfast at Tiffany's 'Moon River', they were dancing the Waltz.  It was smooth, clean, classy, sweet, everything you expect from Kevin but by no means an easy routine.  Stacey has come from no dance background at all to being one of the front-runners in this competition and unless something goes terribly wrong, she should make the final and deservedly so.

Oh my word, my nineties child suddenly started dancing around the room because Joe Sugg is dancing his Samba to Hanson's MmmBop!  I love that song so much and I am not ashamed to admit it.  I loved the whole look of his little drummer rock star and the dance was so much fun and cheeky, but he needs to stop counting along (or was he just singing, no he's not old enough to remember Hanson, surely?)  Anyway, this was a great routine and super fun, another non-dancer who could easily make the final, despite all my early reservations.

Almost at the end now and taking to the floor next is Lauren.  She's dancing the Viennese Waltz and another very classy performance.  She looked relaxed and comfortable, which she has been lacking in previous weeks but she's starting to really come into her stride now and AJ's hard work is obviously paying off as they received their first 9s from Shirley and Bruno.  Happy Birthday, AJ.

Closing the show are Charles and Karen.  Desperate to avoid yet another dance-off, they are dancing a Charleston.  WOW! I was blown away by this routine. It was on a par with their Street dance from week 5.  It was fun, the timing was impeccable.  I loved the one arm lift/spin move, that was cool and he just really went for it this week and it showed.  He should be nowhere near the dance-off this week and should be already on the Blackpool bus.  And I loved Karen's hairstyle in this routine.

So at the end of Saturday night, the leaderboard stands thusly.


Ashley & Pasha39
Faye & Giovanni36
Charles & Karen35
Lauren & AJ34
Stacey & Kevin32
Joe & Dianne32
Graeme & Oti31
Kate & Aljaz30
Danny & Amy27


So onto Sunday and a lovely Remembrance Sunday Tribute to the RAF and it was so lovely to see Amy taking centre stage in a Pro dance rather than the usual Janette or Karen.  Not that Janette and Karen aren't lovely and talented dancers, but it's nice for others to shine too and Amy really did.

So the results and some couples are packed and ready to go but there are no confirmed reservations for either Graeme or Danny as both gentlemen find themselves in the dance-off.  it's Graeme's second dance-off but it's Danny's first.  Before they battle it out, there is a gorgeous performance from father and son Andrea and Matteo Bocelli.  I have heard this song before actually, it was on one of dad's dodgy music programmes when I was staying there a couple of weeks ago and I enjoyed hearing it again.

Well, the dance-off is over and the results are in.  With only Craig voting to save him, Danny is eliminated and Graeme survives to board the bus.  I feel like Danny has been wronged somehow, I thought he improved in his performance on Sunday night and I still didn't like Graeme's routine.  I can't help but wonder if the bullying saga has played a major part in Danny's departure.  I will miss him, I really loved him and will continue to enjoy his Red Dwarf performances, but sadly he will be dancing no more on a Saturday night.

So onto Blackpool then and the bouncy floor beckons the eight remaining couples.

Until then my friends, keep dancing


1 comment:

  1. The optical illuision for that quickstep was neat, and I do love me some Sixpence None the Richer. It was a very sweet quickstep and Kate looked like she was having so much fun. One of their stronger efforts in my opinion.

    Personal preference here but MISSED OPPORTUNITY! An island themed samba and they didn't put Danny in a police constable outfit? *giggles* Okay I see you had the same opinion as that as I did haha. I'm so sad about the off camera drama surrounding him (and of course the bad behaviour is unacceptable) because he just looks so happy to be dancing. I thought he and Amy danced the hell out of this number god they can both move, I didn't notice the stiffness?

    Yup, I still don't like contemporary but this was definitely better than the previous contemporary number on the show. Ashley is really graceful.

    HAHAH OMG I LOVE THIS SALSA. Oti is amazing. Seriously though as a salsa I am not sold, but as a dance number I love it and am thoroughly entertained. It's so fun, but it didn't feel like a proper salsa. Only complaint though because they both danced amazingly.

    Just a warning this may not be the last you see of Gio's Gelato becase I love that. This felt really different and unique compared to the other jives for some reason. I like it! But I agree compared to some others it's not as spectacular. That hairstyle really suites Faye. *snerk at the fakeout hug* Oh my god seriously I love these two, Gio is so much freaking fun.

    I've never been one for Moon River myself (maybe because I've never seen Breakfast at Tiffany's?), but it does add atmosphere to a beautiful waltz. I still stand by my statement that there's just something about him that reminds me of Seamus. I agree that Stacey is definitely a front runner, she is doing so well.

    Oh gods, MMmBop?! For real? For a Samba, I am incredibly excited to see if they pull this off, and how! Okay for starters Joe looks ridiculous in that outfit and makeup combo...but I love Dianne's dress. I was not at all expecting this song to lend itself to any ballroom dance but it works. Dianne's selling it more than Joe, but Joe did pretty good, I can see his improvement every week. And damn if the lad isn't endearing.

    So YouTube had this in the wrong order and also had it labelled as a normal waltz instead of a Viennese which threw off the whole first half of my comment hehe. She and AJ looked fabulous tonight the were also KILLING the Tangled theming. I see what they did there and I love it. I didn't know it was AJ's birthday! Happy birthday AJ!

    Weee a charleston from Charles I am excited. Are Kevin and Karen married? I love that Karen has danced in pants twice now, that is a thing that makes me so inordinately happy. They really rock synchronised numbers. I love these two together. This was a great charleston. I want these two in the finale.

    I just heard AJ speak for the first time in the Keep Your Craig faces on video and his voice does not sound like I had imagined it at all, damn haha. Also with his glasses on Kevin looks like Seamus trying on Harry's glasses. If you have no idea what I am talking about it's the last video on this week's YouTube playlist.

    Awww no!! Not Danny!! I agree that I think he was a bit wronged here and I do hope the bullying saga wasn't true. I feel like out of who is left though the next to go will be either Graeme or Joe.

    ReplyDelete