Tuesday 13 June 2017

Musing Mondays - SURPRISE!Canadian vampire author, yelling at books, and books v. chocolate


Musing Monday, June 12, 2017

Musing Mondays is a weekly meme that asks you to choose one of the following prompts to answer:


  • I’m currently reading…
  • Up next I think I’ll read…
  • I bought the following book(s) in the past week…
  • I’m super excited to tell you about (book/author/bookish-news)…
  • I’m really upset by (book/author/bookish-news)…
  • I can’t wait to get a copy of…
  • I wish I could read ___, but…
  • I blogged about ____ this past week…

I’m currently reading…


Blood Prophecy (Drake Chronicles #6)
by Alyxandra Harvey 

I finished the last book I was reading, The Invisible Library, yesterday. I was browsing my too be read shelves trying to decide what I wanted to read next. I'm trying to remember to read my books that have been on there for awhile as well as the more recent purchases. To try and balance that out I try and go: old books, new book, library/borrowed book, lather, rinse, repeat. It doesn't always work out that way but I try and keep it as close as I can. It would probably help if I didn't keep bringing library books home from work. Especially graphic novels. I've been doing graphic novel weekends every few weeks for the last couple of months.

Anyway, that is a total and complete digression. So I was looking for my next book - I really couldn't decide what I was in the mood for. What I really wanted was the next book in the Invisible Library series, but I borrowed it from my friend, and the library's only copy was an ebook already checked out and with another hold. This book had been grabbing my eye the last couple of times I've looked at the shelves though. I knew I needed to get around to it because it's the final book in a series. That being said I regret not rereading the first 5 books because I was kind of perplexed when I started this one, there was a little bit of "Wait what the hell is going on here?" through the first few chapters. But given that it's been sitting on my shelves since 2013, and that I read the 5th one in 2012, I would say that's to be expected.

What really ended up surprising me about this though, is that the author is Canadian! Not just Canadian but from southwestern Ontario which is my neck of the woods. I had no idea this was a Canadian authored series and that also just makes me want to reread the whole series, so maybe I will before I go on reading the last book. Here, have a summary:

In the thrilling conclusion of the Drake Chronicles, love and loyalties will be tested ... and proven once and for all.
Solange Drake has been officially crowned Queen of the Vampires, fulfilling the centuries old prophecy that foretold the rise to power of a daughter born to an ancient vampire line. Except Solange's thoughts and actions are no longer her own—she's been slowly being possessed by the spirit of Viola, the first daughter born into the Drake line, since her bloodchange. And instead of uniting the vampire tribes under the rule of an ancient daughter as the prophecy predicted, Viola would rather destroy them all and enslave humans in a personal vendetta for the devastation both wrought to her life centuries ago. Can Solange break her hold in time to save everyone she loves from a vampire civil war, hunter attack, and each other? Not everyone will survive the prophecy . . . perhaps not even her..-- via Goodreads



        LAST WEEK’S RANDOM QUESTION: Have you ever read a book where you needed more answers to the story? Where maybe the ending was just way to open ended and you wanted to yell a the author about it? What book was it?


You may have noticed that I didn't post last week. I had a crazy, hectic Monday last week and didn't actually get the chance to! I only had a few hours between getting home from work and when Angie went to bed/when I went out to see Wonder Woman so I was just focused on hanging out with Angie. I was planning to do the post when I got back from the film but a coworker and I decided to have a double feature and see Pirates of the Caribbean as well (it was my second time seeing it because Angie and I saw it on opening day when I went to visit her). Because Wonder Woman ran longer than I was planning/expecting I even ended up missing the Twitter chat I was supposed to be hosting. Luckily my co-host is awesome and covered for me, I owe her big time for that.

The next morning though I did see this question when I was catching up on my RSS feed over breakfast. The minute I saw this question I was so annoyed that I hadn't answered it. So I decided I would answer it this week in addition to answering this week's question.

This kind of thing actually happens to me pretty frequently when I read a book. It's similar to what happens when I watch a movie. I find plot holes, like I am like a blood hound for plot holes and problems and continuity errors, whatever, if there's a snag of any time my brain latches onto it. Angie can testify how annoying this can be because I kind of don't shut up about them sometimes. So yes, there have been a great many times where I have shouted questions at a book because I can't yell at the author, sometimes it doesn't even take until the end before it happens because the problem is just so big and I am so angry at it or in utter disbelief that I have to throw the book aside until I am emotionally able to read it for the answer. The most recent book that caused me to be shouting questions was probably Three Dark Crowns and I really can't say what the questions I had were because they'd be very spoiler-y.

        THIS WEEK’S RANDOM QUESTION: Which would you rather live without? Books or chocolate.

I could easily give up chocolate if it came down to a choice between chocolate and books, and my diet would probably thank me for it. Chocolate is one of the only treats that I have a really, really hard time turning down. But if you're making me choose one or the other I will choose keeping books over keeping chocolate.



No comments:

Post a Comment