Tuesday 23 May 2017

Musing Mondays - current reads & where I like to read


Musing Monday, May 22, 2017

Musing Mondays is a weekly meme that asks you to choose one of the following prompts to answer:


  • I’m currently reading…
  • Up next I think I’ll read…
  • I bought the following book(s) in the past week…
  • I’m super excited to tell you about (book/author/bookish-news)…
  • I’m really upset by (book/author/bookish-news)…
  • I can’t wait to get a copy of…
  • I wish I could read ___, but…
  • I blogged about ____ this past week…

I’m currently reading…


The Hidden Past (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice #3)
by Jude Watson 

When Angie and I were packing up for our weekend of adventure in London on Friday night I decided I wanted to take a book along just in case since my apps were acting up on the airplane ride over. So I raided her bookshelves and saw that she had a 19 book YA series about Obi-Wan Kenobi's life as Qui-Gon Jinn's Padawan learner. They're under 200 pages each making them novellas, so I figured I would try and get through as many of them as I can while I am here.

Since they're so short I figured I better take 2 along just in case, so I did I took Rising Force and Dark Rival with me. I ended up finishing Rising Force in the hotel room before bed on Saturday night after our tour of the Warner Bros. Harry Potter Studio. And then on Sunday on the coach ride back up north, I started and finished, Dark Rival.

This morning I grabbed books 3 (Hidden Past), 4 (Mark of the Crown) and 5 (Defenders of the Dead) off of her shelves and started reading number 3. The goal is still to see how many of the 19 books I can finish before I go home next week:

After Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn are hijacked to the planet Phindar, they find themselves trapped in a world gone mad. The ruling Syndicat controls the people by erasing their memories. The planet's only hope lies with a band of thieving rebels.

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are caught in a mind war. And if they're not careful, their own pasts will be wiped out forever.-- via Goodreads


City of the Lost (Casey Duncan #1)
by Kelley Armstrong

Since I finished Dark Rival while we still had about an hour and a half left on the coach (see the video on Angie's Youtube channel for more on that) I decided to give my apps another try and see if any of them would play nice. And the Kobo app did! Which meant I could read some more Kelley Armstrong! I did not read the blurb for this book before I bought it. Armstrong is one of my favourite authors, I have yet to meet one of her books that I didn't enjoy so I bought this one without finding out anything about it. So far that's working out well for me because I was sucked in from minute one. The main character admits that she murdered someone in the first paragraph! It's almost like a Superhero origin story. 

I have of course read the blurb now and I'm really glad I did because it is such an interesting story. This book was originally serialized as 6 volumes in ebook format. The edition I'm reading is new, the first time all the volumes have been published as a single novel. I have to admit I was kind of ignoring this book when it had been released as volumes and I am glad I did that because I wouldn't have enjoyed waiting in between volumes at all. It's hard enough to wait for sequels to get published!

Casey Duncan is a homicide detective with a secret: when she was in college, she killed a man. She was never caught, but he was the grandson of a mobster and she knows that someday this crime will catch up to her. Casey's best friend, Diana, is on the run from a violent, abusive ex-husband. When Diana's husband finds her, and Casey herself is attacked shortly after, Casey knows it's time for the two of them to disappear again.

Diana has heard of a town made for people like her, a town that takes in people on the run who want to shed their old lives. You must apply to live in Rockton and if you're accepted, it means walking away entirely from your old life, and living off the grid in the wilds of Canada: no cell phones, no Internet, no mail, no computers, very little electricity, and no way of getting in or out without the town council's approval. As a murderer, Casey isn't a good candidate, but she has something they want: She's a homicide detective, and Rockton has just had its first real murder. She and Diana are in. However, soon after arriving, Casey realizes that the identity of a murderer isn't the only secret Rockton is hiding—in fact, she starts to wonder if she and Diana might be in even more danger in Rockton than they were in their old lives.

-- via Goodreads

        THIS WEEK’S RANDOM QUESTION: What is your favorite place to read in?


I really don't have a "favourite" place to read. I am an equal opportunity reader. I will read anything, anytime, anywhere. Preferably somewhere comfortable obviously. Most of the time I read sitting at my computer while I talk to Angie. But I also enjoy curling up on the couch, or laying stretched out on my stomach on either the floor or my bed to read. I'll read in a moving vehicle (as a passenger only obviously haha), or listen to an audio book while working away at something else. I used to read in class, I vividly remember one time in grade 8, the final year of Primary school in Canada, I was in French class and I was really into the novel that I was reading, so since I was in the back row I pulled it out and started reading it during the lesson. Well I must have been totally and completely absorbed because the next thing I know all my clasmates are looking at me, some are snickering, and my very intimidating french teacher is looking at me sternly. I'd been caught, and apparently she'd been trying to get my attention for 5 minutes to answer a question. Needless to say she took my book away from me, which meant I had to get ahold of another copy in order to finish my book report.


No comments:

Post a Comment